Friday, December 31, 2010
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
1) The mother
As she is the creator of all, she is of the form of Matrka.
2) Mata is the name of the mantra of the Deity Nitya of the tenth day of the lunar fortnight.
3) According to PdmP, Mata is the deity of Kayavarohana place.
4) Mata is the name of laksmibija. She is of that form.
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
1) hamsah (=yati visesah) asyam abhedena santi iti
Hamsas are a particular kind of samnyasins.
Here the Goddess is identified with them
2) hamsah (=ajapamantrah) asti asyah
Hamsa represents a particular mantra inaudible to others. She is of that form.
Monday, December 27, 2010
mala asti asyah
She who wears garlands
Or, Malini is also called Deity representing the garland of fifty-one syllables (matrkas)
Or Malini is the name of the friend of the Goddess
Or Malini is the name of a certain metre.
Or Malini is the name of the river Mandakini.
A seven year-old girl is also called Malini
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Saturday, December 25, 2010
trini (=somasuryagnirupani) nayanani yasyah sa
She who has three eyes.
Her three eyes are the Sun, the moon and the fire. The trinayana is also used for vausat by which gods are to be invoked.
2) trini (pratyaksanumanasabdarupani) nayani (=pramanani yasyah)
The word nayana may secondarily mean, means of knowledge, i.e., pramana. This the trinayana, according to this interpretation would mean the three modes of knowledge - holy word (srti) perception (pratyaksa) and reasoning( anumana)
Or tri means three and naya path, i.e., She leads those who are entitled to the three paths. e these three paths are south, north and the path of Brahman.
Friday, December 24, 2010
Thursday, December 23, 2010
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Monday, December 20, 2010
1) Susthu astih (=satta)= svastih, tadvati
According to this interpretation, the word su means good, asti being mat=having. THis the name means she is the Absolute Reality beyond the manifestations that are only empirically real.
2) The word svasti according to Yaska means immortal. According to Ratnakosa the word means benediction, benevolence, etc. She may be identical with that.
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Friday, December 17, 2010
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
1) Who is present as contentment.
The Goddess is always praised under with such names as Tusti, Pusti, (nourishment) which express wisdom or knowledge( jnana) or steadfastness (dhairya), tranquility (sama), benevolence (Kalyana), beauty, etc.
2) Tusti is a deity of the tirtha called Vastresvara.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
1) kumarah (=skandah) gananathah (=gajananah) tayoh amba
The mother of Kumara (Skanda) and Gananatha ( Ganesh)
2) kutsito maraganah (=smaravikara samuhah) yesam, tannathan ambate (badhnati)
According to this interpretation, ku (kutsita)= inferior, maragana means passional modifications, natha = Lords, amba means the binder. i.e., destroyer. Thus it would mean she who destroys the lords of passional modifications
3) The world kumara may also mean egoism as Kumara (i.e., Skanda) is the deity of ahamkara. Hence She binds and punishes those who possess the qualities of ahamkara (egoism)
Monday, December 13, 2010
Sunday, December 12, 2010
1) kulakundam (=muladharamadhyagato binduh) eva alayam yasyah
Whose abode is kulakunda
Kulakunda is the bindu in the center of the pericarp of the muladhara. It can be compared to the narrow opening in the underground stalk of the lotus.
2) The a ( in alaya) means from all sides, i.e., deep, laya sleep. Hence kulakunda is the place where kundalini remains in a state of deep sleep. Hence the name would mean she who rests at kulakunda, that is kundalini.
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Friday, December 10, 2010
Thursday, December 9, 2010
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
1) The Expert One
As she exhibits skill in functions like creation, protection, etc., She is called an expert.
2) kusam (=jalam) lati iti
She who brings water
3) kutsitah salah (=candrama) yasyah (agre)
Even the moon seems faint when compared to Her beauty. Sala means the moon.
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Monday, December 6, 2010
Sunday, December 5, 2010
1) madena patale (=svetaraktau) gandbhuvau yasyah
Whose cheeks are reddish due to rapture
2) madapatale (kasturi puspa visese ca) tadavatyau gandabhuvau yasyah sa
According to this interpretation, the word mada means a kind of flower. Thus the name would mean whose cheeks are decorated with musk(marks) and patala flowers(dangling from the ear-tops).