Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Monday, May 30, 2011
Sunday, May 29, 2011
1) The next creation was sentient. Hence the Goddess is accompanied by intelligence.
2) Medha means individual intelligence
3) She preserved the Vedas and other teachings. Hence she is Medha
4) According to the PdmP, the deity called Medha is worshipped in the country of Kasmira.
na matih, amatih
She is devoid of intelligence
Here the word Amati means nescience . According to the commentator, DurgaBhatta, in the Nirukti,the word amati is explained to mean the knowledge of the self.
Amati may refer to the insentient creation which was devoid of intelligence. She is the source of insentient creation; hence, She is called amati.
Friday, May 27, 2011
1) susthu adhiyate anaya
The formula by which the libation is well-placed.
2) susthu am (visnum) svan va dadhati (=posayati) iti
The name in the above compound is split as sv+a=Dha and sva+dha which means 1) she who nourishes (protects) well the Visnu and she who nourishes her own person 2) Sva+ dha also means the presiding deity of the holy shrine at Mahesvara.
Thursday, May 26, 2011
1) She is the form of Svaha
Svaha is the word uttered when an oblation is offered in the sacrificial fire intended for a deity.
2) su aheti or svam aheti iti
The name also means su + ah= svaha i.e., addressing in a good manner or sva+ah= svaha one's own self
3) susthu ahutayate anaya iti
The formula by which oblation is offered nicely
4) svan (=svakiyan) ajihite (=gacchati) sviyatvena samyak janati iti
She who appears before Her devotees and accepts them as Her own/
5) Svaha is the sakti of fire adn the mother of Karttikeya ( or the wife of Siva in the form of fire).
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Monday, May 23, 2011
Sunday, May 22, 2011
Saturday, May 21, 2011
1) sarvaih varnaih upasobhita
She shines with all colors
The Goddess has all colors like rose, black, red, yellow, etc. Hence She is brilliant with all colors as a variegated Deity.
2) sarvani (=akaradiksakarantani) varnani(=aksarani) yasam, tabhih (amrtadiksamavatyantabhih saktibhih) up (=samipe) sobhita(=avrta)
She is surrounded by the fifty deities representing the fifty mystic syllables ( from a to ksa) on the petals around her.
Friday, May 20, 2011
sahasradalapadme tisthati iti
Who abides in the sahasrara lotus
Sahasrara is the other name of this center. It has thousand of (innumerable) petals. It is located in the skull above the other six centers. Here the Goddess is called Yakini.